Friday, February 12, 2010

The Swan King - Good Deeds EP

 

I've got no cover for this EP(I mean, really I'm too lazy to take a picture of my cover.) so a live picture of the guitarist will have to do. I don't know who took the photo, I stole it from their myspace. If you would like to be credited, let me know.

The Swan King
are a new band from Chicago, and have a pummeling, straight-ahead approach to the Georgia sound of bands like Mastodon or Baroness. I've seen them twice(once opening for Nachtmytium and once opening for Wetnurse and Harpoon.) and both times, despite being their first and second shows, were excellent. Their EP impresses similarly. The Swan King bludgeons instead of aping the prog trappings of other bands, and benefits from this stripped down approach. Their real strength is in their thick, beefy riffs and sound. There are a few misteps, like the weird time change in "Court Behind the Coffin", but all in all, this is a solid first glimpse of a band. I'm excited to hear what comes next from them.

It may be worth mentioned that Sanford Parker recorded this EP.

The Swan King - Good Deeds EP


I was handed a free copy of this EP at their second show, so I'm assuming it's alright if I distribute it online. If not, let me know and I'll take it down.

No comments: