Saturday, March 13, 2010

Gila Bend - S/T 7-in


I went record shopping yesterday, and stopped in at Laurie's Planet of Sound to peruse their used 7-in section. They usually have some gems buried among the piles of old 45's, and I happened across a bunch of emo/punk 7-inches from the middle nineties. I wasn't familiar with any of them, but they were a dollar each, so I grabbed 'em, and took them home. I was very impressed with my luck. The vast majority of them were fucking great, but this Gila Bend band impressed me the most. Gila Bend was apparently a Chicago-area emo/punk band from the mid-nineties, and I'm shocked they're not more well known. Their packaging is gorgeously screen-printed, and expansive. The record came swaddled in a book, with each song getting a page of lyrics(gold print on black paper, absolutely stunning). The music reminds me of early Hot Water Music to a degree, but with more 90's-emo twinkly guitar. The vocals are hoarse, filled with emotion and sometimes sung, sometimes screamed. This just sounds like the kind of music people make when they can't hold it in any longer. It's a vibrant release in every aspect. It's out of print, and probably not that easy to find, so I have provided a download link to the 7-in in question, and a collection of their tracks on various compilations.

Gila Bend - A Falling Star



Note: I found these links on the intarwebs, neither one are my uploads.


Gila Bend - S/T(Liberty Park Recordings, 1995)


Gila Bend - Compilation Tracks

Vinyl Junkie has this 7-in for sale currently. Buy it here.

1 comment:

無尾熊可愛 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.