Thursday, May 27, 2010

Maryland Deathfest 2010 is very fucking nigh.

Our City is Burning is currently reporting from Baltimore, MD. My comrades in metal(Andrew, Ryan, and Idol Threat) are currently at the pre-fest, which I decided to not attend in favor of saving my stamina, and my ears. Instead, I am sitting here, drinking the fanciest of root beers, listening to early Alkaline Trio, and playing GTA: Chinatown Wars. Our City is Burning fucking loves GTA: Chinatown Wars. Our City is Burning is also digging this gnarly thunderstorm.

Let's talk about the fest.

Tomorrow is honestly a pretty light day. I'm excited for Malignancy, Nazxul, Watain, Trap Them, Gorguts, and Coffins. I'm a little worried about the black metal bands since both Mayhem and Absu lacked the proper punch(sound and ambiance wise) playing outside last year, and both Nazxul and Watain will be performing on outside stages. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, however, so perhaps nature will accent the rage and provide the proper backdrop. The rain will probably also wash away the pig's blood.

Saturday is filled with bands I am either ambivalent towards, or don't particularly like. I am excited to finally see Melechesh, and the Chasm. Asphyx should be a highlight as well. I'm not familiar with Autopsy or Repulsion but hopefully they will overcome the whole "not being bands really" business. Everyone is my group is really excited for Portal, but I honestly feel pretty hit or miss with them. Impetuous Ritual(Portal side-project) is fucking great, but the main band is something can only get into sometimes. I imagine the costumes will be worth the price of admission.

Sunday is really the day I'm most excited about, and the day I will probably spend the most money. Gorod, Gridlink, Krallice, Black Breath, Eyehategod, Nirvania2002, Converge, and From Ashes Rises should all be tremendous. I've been waiting literally years to see Eyehategod, and my excitement level could not be higher.

I am excited for the whole shebang, but I do think I was more excited last year. I was coming off a six month show drought, and was listening to a lot more metal back then. Currently, I am listening to pretty much only the new Robyn album, and I just found out she's playing the first day of Pitchfork. Apparently I am going to Pitchfork? I guess seeing El-P and Robyn is worth $40. Mergh.

Anyway. Deathfest. I'll be trying to write thoughts up, but I make no promises. I get pretty fucking overwhelmed pretty quick. I'm hoping for some new shirts, some new vinyl, some new tapes, and some awesome fucking memories. I am excited.

No comments: