Thursday, June 3, 2010

MDF Day 2

We showed up late on Saturday, and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at McDonalds instead of watching Howl. While we consumed our sausage biscuit sandwiches, Watain walked in. Watching a small child watch Watain was ENDLESSLY hilarious, as apparently they wear leather vests reading "BLACK METAL MILITIA" on the back all the time. Live the gimmick, friends.
We showed up in time for Fuck the Facts, and I thought they were absolutely tremendous. Their singer shrieks pure venom, and their mix of melodic guitar parts and rending grindcore was a lot of fun to watch.
Ingrowing was fast and grindy and great.
Obliteration was good. My cohorts LOVED this, and I thought it was ok. I dug the shit of their cd when we listened to it on the ride home, but for some reason I wasn't really feeling it live. I might have just been overtired. Saturday was a really exhausting day for me, even that early in the day.
We watched a bit of the Chasm who were on the shitty side-stage, and as a result, their sound was terrible. I wandered into a little bit of Jucifer, which was much more intense than I expected. Their singer has great great great vocals. The performance wasn't up to the level of her screaming though, and so we wandered elsewhere.
Impaled was tremendous amounts of fun. Costumes, stage banter about the "GORE CORPS", etc etc etc.
Melechesh had sound issues, and set-up issues, but were great fun. I adore that kind of melodic death metal.
Repulsion was tremendous amounts of fun. One of the members of Cretin(Marissa) guested on the last couple of songs, which was great to see. Lots of stage dives!
Asphyx and Autopsy were both solid, but I'm not a huge fan of either. Asphyx was on the shitty stage, and their sound suffered hugely as a result. They didn't match the thunder of last year at all. Autopsy was good, but played for far too long.
Wolfbrigade was crust-fest. They were a lot of fun when everyone knew the words, less fun when I had to avoid choking on dreadlocks.
We've touched on Portal previously. Incredible.

I apologize for the brevity of these reviews. I'm doing it all from memory at this point, and MDF is just such an exhausting event that even trying to recall details is tiring.

No comments: