Saturday, May 21, 2011

Some Thoughts on The Rapture

The end of the world is a real, tangible thing to me. The greenhouse effect, the new Depression, the constant rise of corporation-controlled government, and the list of terrifying things just keeps growing. We're very close to the edge, and I can imagine the end of this planet coming before my life is out. This gives me a certain amount of sympathy for the folks who believe the Rapture is very fucking nigh. There's this article from the New York Times which is a pretty heart-wrenching insight into the family dynamics of these people, and I just can't really shake it. I disagree with the exclusive nature of their faith, and their timing, but I cannot fault them for holding on to something so tightly, I really cannot. I just wish they weren't letting it divide their loyalties.

I've had "Casimir Pulaski Day" stuck in my head all day as a result. The line about "and he takes and he takes and he takes," always struck me as an incredibly insightful line about the nature and demands of faith. It seems appropriate in these times. This is a live version from a performance on KEXP and it is gorgeous. The trumpet is brighter than the studio version, and I think that makes all the difference.


Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day(Live on KEXP)

No comments: